The Board meeting minutes (aka Exhaust Notes) has permanently moved from the Mountain Passage newsletter to the website. Once the AMR Board has approved the monthly meeting minutes, we will post the contents on this webpage. This webpage will provide six months worth of meeting minutes, after that, the contents will be archived to a Word document and will be available for download by members. Minutes are submitted by AMR Secretary Tim Drummer.
NOVEMBER MINUTES – 11.27.2018
Location: Texas T-Bone
Start Time: 6:25 pm
Attendees: Denise Jordan, Mark Stolberg, Matt Ardaiz, Tim Drummer, Pam Drummer, Jim Sorensen, Nate Adams, Dana Kasten, Dwight Kasten, Max Hellman, Barb Tracey, and Jack Ferguson.
Review of Action Items – The first AI, Jim S will call new members and will bring badges to the Christmas party, the AI remains open. The second AI, Denise to get the new trophies is complete. All recipients have been selected.
Denise remarked that the year has gone by very quickly but that it has been a good year for the club. She thanked all the volunteers for the contributions. Denise said she is looking forward to the Joint Board Meeting and Christmas Party. While there are still some risks to the club there are also many opportunities.
Treasurer’s Report: Dana provided Treasury Report. Year to Date Club financials have improved but still down for the year. There were minimal expenses last month and we recently received the PCA rebate. Projecting the club will be still be down at year end.
Newsletter: Matt reported that the December newsletter is complete and requested any dates for future events be sent to him. Mark introduced Max Hellman who is interested in taking over as Newsletter Editor. Max completed a questionnaire for the position which the Board members had previously reviewed. Max gave a verbal review of his background and the Board members gave their background. Max was approved as the new Newsletter Editor.
Advertising: It was discussed that the club will keep the same approach for the time being as now with Max starting as the Editor. Max will handle the content and Dana will work the billing.
Sponsorship: Denise related to the Board that she has discussed with Fred Veitch an updated approach to Porsche of Colorado Springs sponsorship. Also, she is working with Alex to develop a tiered approach to sponsorships.
Membership: Jim told the Board there have been 2 new members including one assigned from England. AMR now has 688 total members: 431 Primary and 257 affiliate members.
CDI Program: Mark related to the Board that there are no major significant changes in the last month. He and others are working to confirm to the AMR event dates to ensure no conflicts with major external groups like WRL. Pueblo HPDE was moved from May to mid-June and Mark confirmed 7/8 September for La Junta.
Membership Socials: Denise reported that at the November Ladies Day Luncheon the weather was very bad but still had 7 participants and the event was very enjoyable. January membership social is probably going to be at Paravicini’s.
Charities: Barb told the Board that she is still available to collect any donations for the Ladies Day charity from anyone that wasn’t able to attend but would still like to make a donation. She also reminded everyone that The Christmas Party will collect items for the Toys for Tots charity.
Tours: Nate reported that all 2019 dates are still tentative, but confirmed no HPDE conflicts. Locations are still being refined.
Joint Board Meeting – Denise plans to send an e-blast to the membership inviting anyone to attend who would like. The event calendar is mostly locked at this point, focus of meeting will be on broader club issues. It will be held 9 Dec at 11am at Old Chicagos on North Academy at the intersection with Austin Bluffs.
Board Elections – Denise discussed that the ballot is in the December newsletter and it will also be sent out via an e-blast. There will be paper ballots at the Christmas Party. All ballots must be received by 7 December, 2018.
Holiday Party – Denise said everything is set and currently have 72 RSVPs. The deadline to RSVP is 3 Dec. Denise emphasized the dress attire is no jeans, business casual or better. For the charity, it was discussed that no gift should be more than $25 to allow for as many gifts for as many children as possible, in the past have seen very expensive gifts that limit the number of children who can benefit.
Treffen – Nate, Alex, and Denise met with PCA Treffen Chair after PCA had surveyed both the Broadmoor and the Cheyenne Mountain Resort. There are still several PCA approvals remaining before a final selection is made. Alex and his wife Kim have agreed to be the event chairs if AMR venue is selected. The event is currently targeting the first weekend in May, 2020. PCA is recommending a minimum of 6 tours and Nate is pursuing tour volunteers now. The 2019 tours may be dry-runs for the Treffen tours.
Past Event Wrap Up:
Dwight reported that the truck and trailer is at PCA Motorsports and is now winterized.
Mark complimented support that Dwight provided as the de facto Equipment Chair and that HPDE Chairs never worried whether all needed equipment for their event would be in the track and/or trailer.
1. Approve Treasury Report. Made by Tim, Seconded by Jim. Denise, Mark, and Dana voted AYE.
2. Approve Max Hellman as Newsletter Editor. Made by Mark, seconded by Denise. Jim, Dana, Tim, and Joel (via email) voted Aye
There were no action items.
The next Board meeting will be 29 Jan at Texas T-Bone.
Finish Time 7:59 pm
OCTOBER MINUTES – 10.30.2018
Location: Mollica’s Italian Restaurant
Start Time: 6:31 pm
Attendees: Denise Jordan, Mark Stolberg, Matt Ardaiz, Tim Drummer, Jim Sorensen, Robert Baumgartner, Alex Ching, Nate Adams, Dana Kasten, Dwight Kasten, Phil Smith, Tim Hoiles, Robert Yen, Karl Klepfer, Max Hellman, Barb Tracey, Fred Veitch, and Jack Ferguson.
Review of Action Items – The first AI, Jim S to put request in newsletter and to email/call new members, the first part is complete but the second part remains open. The second AI, Denise to arrange date and location of the joint board meeting has been closed.
Denise welcomed the many new attendees to the Board meeting. She commented that Mollica’s has a time limit on how late the meeting could go, so she encouraged Board members to be efficient. The Club is winding down the year, with the Mystery Tour and Pueblo HPDE just completed. She expressed thanks to volunteers. Denise also related that PCA has reached out to AMR to request support for a Colorado Springs Treffen. The AMR Board supports the event and PCA representatives will be onsite in November to begin working details.
Treasurer’s Report: Dana provided a 2 month report since she was absent last month. Overall the Club balance is down $14k but is improving slightly.
Newsletter: Matt reported that the digital newsletter is on track for delivery Dec 1. The content is fairly sparse given the slowdown in the schedule. For anything going into the Dec Newsletter, Matt will need items by 26 Nov. Denise mentioned that she had a lead for a replacement editor but it fell through, the club is still looking for a Newsletter Editor.
Advertising: Matt stated without an Editor advertising is a challenge but he will send out a request for volunteers.
Membership: Jim told the Board there have been 7 new members and 2 departures since his last report. AMR now has 433 Primary and 260 affiliate members. There were 66 Newsletter mailings in Oct.
Website: Alex reported the website is going well.
CDI Program: Mark related to the Board we’ve had a great season with lots of assistance from instructors. Fred echoed that it was well organized. Phil Smith commented that he was recently in Birmingham at the Porsche Sports Driving School and that while there he got many compliments on AMR HPDE’s.
Membership Socials: Denise reported that at the November Lady’s Day is expected to have strong turnout.
Charities: Barb reminded everyone that The Christmas Party will collect items for the Toys for Tots charity.
PCS: Fred told the Board that he is working with PCA on a display solution for the Colorado Springs dealership to showcase club memorabilia, and that he plans to engage the dealership early in 2019.
Tours: Nate reported that the Fall Mystery Tour went well and that he is working the 2019 calendar of events. He expects to have some new tour leads.
Joint Board Meeting – Denise has been discussing with Jim Thornburn (RMR) to confirm the date of 9 Dec at 11am at Old Chicagos on North Academy. Denise emphasized that the meeting will include more joint issues between the clubs than just scheduling.
Board Elections – Denise discussed that she has been considering how to go forward with the VP role with Mark stepping down. The Board has previously discussed expanding the role for a First and Second VP. After discussion with how other Zones have implemented such an approach, she would like to keep a single VP in 2019 with the goal of defining a two-VP approach for 2020. Alex has expressed interest in running for the VP role in 2019, and there are three members that have expressed interest in the Member at Large position. The Nominating Committee will narrow down to a single person on the slate.
Holiday Party – Denise said the date has moved to 7 Dec, she is finalizing menus and cost, and everything is proceeding.
Past Event Wrap Up:
Mystery Tour – Nate stated it was sold out at 20 cars with 19 rooms, it ended up at Ouray, CO. Everything went well and the final budget was reviewed.
Pueblo HPDE – Robert reported there 63 drivers and he saw a lot of advanced drivers at the event. There were no safety issues. Max Hellman told the Board this was his first DE, he gave high praise to the event and stated he would like to get more involved volunteering in 2019.
Award Committee – Denise told the Board that the Award Committee has collected trophies from the last winners and they are now working on selecting the new awardees.
HPDE Program in 2019 – Denise opened the discussion on HPDE by telling the assembled audience that HPDE’s are not going away, that the Board has committed to a minimum of 3 HPDE’s in 2019. She stated that the Board is looking into options for a 4th HPDE in 2019. Denise discussed that the dynamics of the club have led to a decrease on HPDE participation and that we need more volunteers. Key areas include Start, Control, and corner workers. Need additional volunteers to distribute the workload.
Mark added that part of his reason to not pursue the VP role next year was to focus on providing support to HPDE Chairs. Planning for an HPDE begins almost a year in advance. The Board is committing to 3 events and this is a stronger commitment have seen historically. Mark believes he may have identified volunteers for a 4th HPDE. Typically for an event there are many caveats and it is on hold until all volunteers are identified. He is actively working schedules and de-conflicting with other major events (WRL, RMR, etc).
Denise solicited volunteers from among the new attendees to the Board meeting. Max re-iterated his willingness to volunteer.
Robert Yen asked for confirmation if the commitment was 3 or 4 events (answer was currently 3). Robert lobbied to add La Junta as a 4th event. There was also discussion that the lack of an instructor training program in 2019 was a problem.
Tim Hoiles asked if the Club had implemented sponsorship levels (response, not yet but Club would look into it). Tim also asked if he could get Club Treasury balances for 2008, 2013, and 2017. Were there HPDE losses in the last 5 years (response, no, have not seen losses in last 5 years).
Volunteer Program – Alex stated that we need a bevy of volunteers and that for each position we need a roles and responsibilities description. Also include what training is available to the volunteer. Alex will be adding this information the website. Alex asked the Board to help with inputs on each of these roles. Fred suggested we do a local training workshop.
Control and Start Committee – Alex stated he and Bob Foltz will put together a committee to identify a set of volunteers for Control and Start positions and to provide training. This will create a set of volunteers for all HPDEs. Goal is to have in place by first 2019 HPDE.
1. Approve 2 month Treasury Report. Made by Mark, Seconded by Jim. Denise, Alex, Dana, and Tim voted AYE.
1. Denise to work with Dana to get the trophies made that are the members to keep.
The next Board meeting will be 27 Nov at Texas T-Bone.
Finish Time 7:48 pm